Judge: Dan LeBeau
Court Clerk: Jenni Straughan
Mitigating a traffic infraction:
When requesting a mitigation hearing, you admit to committing the violation(s) but would like to be considered for a reduction in fines by explaining the circumstances. If you would like to mitigate your citation, please send a letter to the judge explaining the circumstances of your citation and send with it, your signed traffic citation checking the mitigation box.
Please address the letter to Judge LeBeau. You will usually hear from Judge LeBeau by mail, two weeks after the court receives your letter. If you have any questions, please call the clerk at 509-229-3887. The address to send in your mitigation letter is Colton Municipal Court, PO Box 157, Colton, WA 99113.
YOU CANNOT MITIGATE A CITATION FOR SPEEDING IN A SCHOOL ZONE!
Requesting a Traffic Infraction Deferral:
If you have received a traffic infraction in the Town of Colton, you may be eligible for a Traffic Infraction Deferral. You may only receive one deferral for a Moving Violation and one deferral for a Non-Moving Violation every 7 years. To apply for the Deferral Program you must meet the following criteria:
- You must have a valid driver’s license.
- You must have responded to your traffic ticket within 30 days of the violation date, either by mail or in person.
- You have not received a Deferral or Deferred Finding in the past 7 years from any court in the State of Washington, moving or non-moving, depending on the charge that you are requesting to be Deferred.
- You do not possess a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
If you would like to proceed with a deferral, click here, fill out the form, and mail it to:
Colton Municipal Court, PO BOX 157, Colton, WA 99113.
Please keep in mind that even if you have met the above listed criteria to request a Deferral, your entry into the program is a discretionary decision that will be made by the Judge. If you are granted a Deferral, the conditions of your Deferral are:
- The length of the Deferral will be up to one year.
- A non-refundable Administrative Fee of $25, plus the full price of the citation.
- Any new traffic violations will be cause for the revocation of the Deferral.
There will be no exceptions to the criteria required or the conditions imposed by the Court. If you comply with all of the conditions imposed by the Court the charge that has been deferred will be dismissed. If you have any questions, please contact Colton Municipal Court at 509-229-3887.